died in the wool ______

To have no set purpose in one's life is the harlotry of the will -Stephen Mackenna-

Friday, August 13, 2004

back in Tokyo

So I'm back in Tokyo again finally after a long absence, and I'm pretty happy about it. I've been in rural Japan for the last few years, and it's satisfying, as jobless as I am right now, to finally be back here.

I guess I've kind of denied the difference between Tokyo and rural Japan. But the longer I'm here in Tokyo the more I can see the difference between the two.

I guess that's kind of a blanket statement, and I really can't get very specific right now. One thing that comes to mind is the fact that where I was, Miyazaki, there was a style that guys were wearing layered tank tops. In Tokyo they don't do that. I will admit that it did look kind of hickish, but less so to my sensibilities than perhaps to some Japanese or other foreigners.

I went rollerblading around my neighborhood yesterday while running some errands, and it just felt so nice to be in Tokyo. I good feeling because the first time I came here, to Tokyo that is, I really disliked it. But I feel as if I've finally found a way of living in Japan that I've very happy with. I feel settled here for once. Perhaps that's a dangerous thing.

I've also come to like starbucks in my time in Japan. In the states I usually refuse to go, but for lack of anything better here, it's just become default if they have it where I am at the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

span.shortpost {display:none;}