died in the wool ______

To have no set purpose in one's life is the harlotry of the will -Stephen Mackenna-

Thursday, March 23, 2006

myoga and kaiware daikon

In January, a friend of mine from the states visited, and I decided to take him to an onsen down in Izu. Unfortunately it was dark by the time we got there, and couldn't really take in the scenery.

I decided to head down that way again last weekend. After going in the onsen, we had a small snack of hiyayakko and daikon salad.

The things that stood out to me were the myouga in the hiyayakko. It was somewhat spicy like ginger, but also had the spice of an onion. It was an addictive combination of flavors, and I am going to start using it more often.

There were also some small sprouts, and when I asked what they were, the waiter told me they were kaiware daikon. These were also similarly bitter and spicy, somewhat the way komatsuna tastes, and were very good.

1 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger Jason Truesdell said...

Myouga is one of the Japanese vegetables that I have almost never seen in the US except at exhorbitant prices, alas... kaiware-daikon are pretty easy to find, sometimes even in non-Asian markets around Seattle, but when in Japan, I am almost as excited to eat dishes made with myouga as I am to find things made with yuzu or sudachi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

span.shortpost {display:none;}