died in the wool ______

To have no set purpose in one's life is the harlotry of the will -Stephen Mackenna-

Friday, December 10, 2004

how to lie with statistics

I saw this , and my heart sunk. Mpls population is not this white I thought to myself. We are tons more diverse than this. Then I realized that this web site did the same trick that I always do: Including the metropolitan area in the city numbers to make it seem larger than it really is. I always say Mpls is 3 million, but the city itself, excluding suburbs and st. paul, is only a little less than 400,000. To make us sound larger, we always talk about the metro area.

Now, after finding some census statistics It makes much more sense. It reminds me that, yes, I was a minority at my high school, Yes half of my elementary school class was Hmong. That's better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

span.shortpost {display:none;}