died in the wool ______

To have no set purpose in one's life is the harlotry of the will -Stephen Mackenna-

Friday, December 10, 2004

that's why the jews left the USSR

I was just reading an article about the Ukrainian Election, and I was looking up some vocabulary that I was a little fuzzy on. I came up to a section in this referencetalking about Anti Religious activities. This might seem obvious, but we learn so much in the US about why Jews moved to US from Germany. They were isolated picked specifically for being Jewish. So many of them fled. But I have so many Jewish friends whose background is from former soviet republics. after reading this it all makes sense to me now. They weren't attacked for being Jewish, they were attacked simply for subscribing to a religion. This differs entirely from the German discrimination.

1 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but the guardian's article refers to the extermination of lviv's jews by the ukrainians, who actually were on one side with the nazis - so nothing to do with the soviet attitudes towards religion(s)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

span.shortpost {display:none;}